Monday, June 30, 2008

enjoying the sunshine?

With some small level of certainty, I think we can finally say that summer has arrived in Seattle.  At least the sunshine has for the last week or so.  Temps in the 80's and 90's!  Asking if someone is 'enjoying the sunshine' is a typically Seattle thing to do, since sunny days are rare and if it's sunny out, damn it if you're going to stay inside and wait for rain.

As for training, we are in a taper at the moment, and no body loves a taper more than me, after all i was born lazy.   Am doing the Lake Stevens 70.3 event this Sunday; it will be my first race since last summer at Vineman!  Had a chance to ride the course last weekend, while doing my very first century ride, EVER.  Punchy, saw tooth hills requiring a fair amout of climbing, instead of smooth fast rollers.  Thinking this will be good practice for Wisconsin.  Hoping for a day in the 70's however as I'm not too sure I am ready for a race in the 80's.

Went to the cardiologist and nothing to worry about --- my biggest fear was that he was going to tell me I shouldn't race.  He did not.  

As for training:

6/21 - group ride 107 miles (Redhook to lake stevens loop) - 6.5 hrs /avg 16mph --- got very lost!  felt great at the finish though, even on the hills back up from the valley
6/23 - swim 3700 yds (65 min)
6/24 - 50 min swim 2700 meters (at lovely Colman pool - salt water, 50m on the puget sound!) and ride 20 miles
6/25 - worst ride of my life!  short fast mercer island loop but not me --- getting spooked on the cornering,  ugh!  ditched the swim as a result!
6/26 - speed work at the track:  20 min warm-up, 1.0, 1.5, 0.5, 1.75 (2 min rest between each) at 10km pace, 10 min cool down.  I love doing speed work but find I really have to concentrate on keeping the intervals consistent and not overshooting the first couple of intervals...  maintained a 7:00/mile throughout workout.  Felt great on Friday too!
6/28 - short tempo run at Alki then brunch at Matt's (aka m@) who has a spectacular view of the Puget Sound!




No comments: